|Fund name||Asset Class||License|
|ISF Special Opportunity Fund||Early stage||SEBI AIF Cat 1|
About the AMC
- Was founded in 2016.
- Kapil Kaul (Founder & MD)- He has an experience of more than 30 investments and over 300 evaluated deals at varied levels of the investment cycle ranging from seed investment to VC and Private Equity. He served as an Executive Director on the board of Duke Equity (a US-India Based PE firm) from 2006 till 2012, where he was instrumental in executing Global Acquisitions, Strategic Partnerships and JV’s for Portfolio companies. He also played an instrumental role in launching of several Greenfield projects in automotive, aviation, and health care services sectors. He holds an Undergraduate Degree in B.Sc.(I.T.) from Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Post Graduate Degree in M.Sc. Advanced Computing Science from University of East Anglia, UK and also a Post Graduate Diploma majoring in Finance (PGDF) from Symbiosis Institute of Business Management.
- Prashant Priyadarshi (Founder)- Mr. Prashant Priyadarshi holds an undergraduate degree in B.Com from Patna University. He has over 15 years of banking experience mainly in SME area. He has taken various assignments like client business analysis, evaluation, business development, portfolio management and product development during his entire banking career.He started his banking career from Standard Chartered Bank in SME division, and witnessed the lifecycle of setting of a business division from scratch, to a fully established vertical.
Investment Philosophy (for fund)
Our approach is to build a diversified portfolio of early-stage Startups & SME’s, mainly in high growth rate businesses, with a record of competent management team.
We believe in ‘mantra’ of profitability in companies, hence the investment approach will be carefully driven towards companies, which will be either operationally profitable or tending towards profitability within 12-24 months of the investment.
Our process will assess the value proposition of each prospect through a proven, multi-faceted vetting process that evaluates a company’s management efficacy, innovation, potential for disruption, competition, business economics, scalability, market appeal, and overall risk.The fund will envision the market & talent arbitrage opportunities between Global and IndianVentures.
The Fund’s investment criterion is premised on identifying “Rockstar” founders, a transformational business, and a scalable market opportunity. We consider one or more of the following attributes/ factors when evaluating an investment opportunity:
Capabilities & Strategy:
- Team: “Rockstar” entrepreneurs who are incorrigibly passionate with strong team chemistry.
- Tenacity: An early competitive advantage and a lasting perseverance.
- Technology / Business Model: Scalable technology and/or Business Model with an elegant turnkey solution.
- Tactic: A lean distribution model with capable and efficient execution.
- Traction: Market fit early, with an early stage or beta prototype.
- TAM: Total sizable addressable market that can deliver a high return.
- Timing: An established ecosystem and escalating demand for solutions.
- Trans-border: Focused start, global vision.
- Tailwinds: Clear path to fundability, with low regulatory or policy burdens.
Title: IndianStartupFactory gets Sebi’s nod to launch Rs 200-crore fund, Source: Financial Express, Date: 05 September 2018
Markets regulator Sebi has given approval to IndianStartupFactory to launch Rs 200-crore maiden India venture capital fund which will invest in startups as well as small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
Title: IndianStartupFactory Gets SEBI Nod To Launch $27.8 Mn Maiden India Fund, Source: Inc42, Date: 05 September 2018
The fund named ISF Special Opportunity Fund will support startups, micro, small and medium enterprises
The ticket size is approximately $200 K to $3 to $4 Mn. The real estate sector was not considered for this fund, but was looking forward to government approved infra projects. Planned to deploy the entire capital in less than two years, invested in 15-20 startups. The investment was both stage wise and a one time deal.
- What do you mean by the term ‘potential for disruption’ in the investment process?
- Your fund invests across all the sectors, but are there any most preferred ones?
You must be logged in to post a comment.