|Kotak Private Equity Fund
|SEBI AIF Cat 1
About the AMC
- Kotak Mahindra Group had been associated with private equity investments since 1997. In 2005, to bring about a sharper focus to this business, Kotak Investment Advisors Limited was set up as the Group’s Alternate Assets practice with its first structured third party private equity and real estate funds.
- Ramakrishna K. V. (CEO,Private Equity)- KV Ramakrishna is the Chief Executive Officer of Kotak Private Equity Group (KPEG). He joined the team in October 2004.
- Nitin Deshmukh (Founding Partner, Private Equity)- Nitin Deshmukh is the founding member of the Private Equity practice at Kotak and has played a pivotal role in building the Alternate Assets business at Kotak.
- Himanshu Nivsarkar (Executive Director)- Himanshu Nivsarkar joined Kotak Private Equity Group (KPEG) in February 2010. Himanshu brings with him diverse work experience of over 14 years working in life sciences, investment banking and private equity.
Investment Philosophy (for fund)
Discovering Future Leaders – As pioneers of the Indian private equity industry, their team is adept at identifying outstanding entrepreneurs and management teams of emerging businesses. They look for companies that have a clear business strategy with significant opportunities to scale up with a defendable market positioning.
While they have a preference towards sectors such as Pharmaceuticals, Life Sciences, Healthcare, Consumer, Technology & Financial Services, and are happy to evaluate investment opportunities in companies in other sectors with a differentiated business model that mirrors India’s growth story.
Businesses should ideally have a strong competitive edge and long-term growth or more of the following areas:
- Growth opportunities to gain regional or national market leadership.
- An IPR driven business with technology, product or a clearly differentiated market opportunity.
- An Innovative business model.
- Experienced and passionate people with a disciplined and execution-led approach.
- Hunger for growth and a collaborative mind-set with due respect to partnerships.
- High level of integrity.
Title: India needs to build venture capital industry: Uday Kotak, Source: Economic Times, Date: 18 November 2019
From a policy point of view, find ways of giving big incentives for domestic savings moving into venture capital, says Uday Kotak, and on the other side GST and demonetization has pushed the small and medium enterprises from informal to formal sector.
In the last 10 to 15 years, a lot of small and medium businesses because of inadequate capital have actually failed and also the sector has formalised.
- Prima facie, your investment philosophy looks generic, how is it different from others?
- At what stage you provide funding to startups? Do you provide them with guidance in areas other than funding?