|Fund name||Asset Class||License|
|Karvy Capital Alternative Investment Trust||Hedge fund||SEBI AIF Cat 3|
Stock Broking, Registry Services, NBFC, Debt Services, Commodities Broking, Data Management, Institutional Equities, Investment Banking, PMS
About the AMC
- Incorporated in 1979
- Key staff- Kedar Deshpande, Director, Karvy Capital Ltd. Prior work experience- the country head for Karvy Stock Broking business, set up Edelweiss Broking retail business, head the retail business of ICICIDirect.com and worked for ICICI Bank Treasury desk, (according to website, but his linkedin profile says he is Head Retail Products, Services & Distribution at ICICI Securities)
P. Phani Sekhar ,Fund Manager – PMS, Karvy Capital Ltd.(prior work experience- Phani Sekhar was a Fund Manager in the Portfolio Management Services (PMS) with Angel Broking)
Not available for firm. The following is the stated strategy for the fund
Arbitrage Opportunities Fund
- The Arbitrage Opportunities Fund aims at providing returns superior to liquid funds on a post-tax and post cost basis without taking any market risk at all.
- The only strategies to be implemented in this fund are based on strict arbitrage in listed securities such as futures, options and stocks.
- The Arbitrage Opportunities Fund takes up trades only when certain to make a minimum amount of returns above the liquid funds returns. At other times it will stay in cash.
- The trades, being arbitrage driven, have no uncertainty in their returns once taken. The worst case for the fund is hence a complete lack of opportunities – in which case the fund would simply generate returns at par with the liquid funds.
- Karvy Capital Ltd has built the team for managing this fund over the last two years and has been investing proprietary capital in building its absolute returns strategies.
- Our approach is based on robust and well established techniques to spot market inefficiencies and use them to deliver market-neutral absolute returns.
Media interview related to this particular fund is not available, other interviews are too old not relevant.
Karvy stock Broker Fraud
Date – Dec, 2019
Sebi banned Karvy Stock Broking Ltd for pledging clients’ shares and transferring Rs 1,096 crore worth of clients’ securities to its group company Karvy Realty Pvt Ltd without their consent.
- Walk us through Arbitrage Opportunity Fund managed by Karvy Capital